Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Two Very Different Owls

The Great Horned Owl ~ half scale


While I was working on this Great Horned Owl, my grandchildren each secretly thought I was creating this wood carving for them. Harry Potter was all the rage and owls were very much at the forefront of their minds. So, I decided to carve a smaller owl; in fact, two smaller owls -- one for each family. I naively thought that carving the feet right out of the original block of wood would "save me time." Boy was I wrong! Getting into the back of the block perch to carve the underside proved quite the feat! And, I might add, a smaller scale carving does not necessarily equate with reduced hours. The work was well worth it, though. To this day, they still love and appreciate the carvings. This is the owl before it was painted.


Screech Owl ~ Unpainted


No comments:

Post a Comment